27 February 2011

Rock climbing...

I'm not sure what happened to this week...it has been a week where New Zealand hasn't been far from our thoughts.  The earthquake that happened in Christchurch on Tuesday 22nd has been on our minds all week.  The first I heard of it was when a friend (we were meeting for breakfast after school drop off) arrived at our local cafe and asked if my friends/family were ok with the earthquake......My friends probably thought that I was rather rude as for most of that time I was on my phone (smartphones are GREAT) checking stuff.co.nz and finding out what I could.  Got home as soon as I could and turned the Australian channel on and basically watched the NZ news (either One News or TV3 - very strange watching it in Hong Kong!) for 36 hours  !!  Our thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by this tragic disaster.


Going back a few days earlier Hannah had a birthday party to go to.  One of her school friends had invited her to her party.  It was abit different as it was rock climbing !!!  I wasn't sure how this would go down.  Don't get me wrong she was really excited about going and trying it out but I wondered how she would take to it.  It was one of those activities that could go either way....

They did a trial first - meaning that they got onto the wall and moved across.  They didn't climb up but were encouraged to move along on the same level.  The next time they moved across the wall and then climbed up a little way to sign a card for the birthday girl.  Then they were allowed to go up....and up they went.  For many of the children (and even some of the parents) this was the first time even to try something like this.  Hannah on the beginning attempts was abit dubious so I was thinking could be a loong 3 hours....but no...she really surprised me.  And I think herself. 

It was a sheer wall with an edge coming out.  I thought it was pretty optimistic thinking on the instructors part that kids would get to the top but I was mistaken.....The first time Hannah went up she only got to the part that jutted out.....and came back down again.  Once on the ground she saw how her friend Roisin had done - she'd gone to the top on her first go - and wanted another go.  This time (and she took her time) she got to the top.  She did it 6 times (all I kept thinking was that she'd sleep well tonight plus she might be abit sore tomorrow...) and on her very last go got up to the top in 5 mins.  A new activity has been discovered.  It's probably a good age to try these things out as they seem to be more willing to try them out.

Getting told the instructions at the beginning



First go at the wall



Then it was all on....yes they are harnassed in





She was so proud of herself after this go as it was the first time (but her second attempt) at getting to the top.

Here are some 'action' shots !



No comments:

Post a Comment